Sunday, February 8, 2009

Small beginnings_3 days in

Dec. 29, 2008

Well, it's been over a month since I started my "diet" journal and needless to say, I did not stick with the program. That is very typical for me. I get really excited about starting a new diet, I talk about it a lot, but then it never gets off of the ground. But now I want to start again and there's no day like today.

I started eating healthy 3 days ago. I think I got inspired by some of the Christmas gifts I got, Burt's Bees products, organic pillowcases (I know, weird, huh?) and a cute purse that says "Recycle" on it.

I get really excited when I think about going back to my 'grassroots', my old hippie days. I remember when I first discovered health foods back in 1979 at a yoga class I took in college. They gave us a lot of organic healthy recipes and I really liked them. I remember going to this little cafe that served sandwiches in Pita bread, with avocado and alfalfa sprouts inside. I fell in love with alfalfa sprouts then. I remember feeling so good about myself, my healthy, alternative lifestyle.

I continued eating healthy for about a year, through my pregnancy with my first son and a little thereafter. I started reading Adele Davis' books. I even made the barely tolerable "Pep Up" drink. Does anybody remember that drink?

Through the years I've gone back and tried eating healthy, time and time again, but I was never able to stick with it. I think my love for sweets and sugar is so strong that it pulls me back every time. I'll eat really healthy for several weeks, or even months and then something triggers me and I go back to my old way of eating.

I'm 52 years old, but I know I can change. I don't have to always be fat. I can be healthier, look better, have fresher and healthier looking skin and hair, look younger, feel better and have more energy. And I am going to fit into normal size clothing, buy cute clothes and feel good again!

I want to make better, wiser choices. I want to live and live life more abundantly, just like Jesus promised us!

No comments:

Post a Comment